Video Viral

By Mark Felix

Dramatic footage shows a plane explode into a fireball after crashing into a children’s therapy centre.

The Cessna 335 crashed into the Positive Behaviour Supports in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on December 1 at 1.30pm – killing both passengers.

In the devastating video captured on CCTV filmed by the business next door, H & J Electronics International, the plane can be seen skidding down the street before smashing into the building and bursting into flames.

Despite the best efforts of firefighters, the crash claimed the lives of a 51-year-old flight instructor and another victim. 

The Cessna 335 had taken off from Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Saturday afternoon when, moments later, the plane crashed into a building in the 1000 block of Northwest 62nd Street.

Video footage from the nearby electronics company shows the plane skidding across the parking lot, trailed by heavy smoke, and then erupting into flames upon impact. 

Several people, including children, can be seen running out of the building as there were eight adults and five children inside at the time of the crash but none were injured.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the incident.

A spokesman from H&J Electronics International, who did not want to be named, said: “I think he would have survived if he hadn’t hit such a hard spot like the wall. 

“There is a wall behind us and I’m sure he was trying to aim for there.

“Me and my business partner both had messages saying a plane had hit the building.

“We got here and the fire service said they had already put out the fire.

“We had a little smoke damage in our unit which is at the other end of the warehouse.

“When we went inside to get the footage the power had been turned off for safety reasons. 

“I had to put the footage on DVD to send to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

“We could see that the landing gear was still intact. 

“The parking lot is a very narrow place and he managed to get the plane in between two cars.”

A spokesperson from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said: “The investigation is ongoing.  

“The investigator is in the process of wrapping up and examining the wreckage and documenting the scene. 

“The investigator will also collect radar data, weather information, and air traffic control communications. 

“The aircraft was scheduled for removal yesterday. 

“This is the fact gathering stage. 

“The aircraft will then be removed and taken to a secure facility for further examination if necessary. 

“In about 10 days or so, a preliminary report should be posted to the NTSB website. 

“A typical NTSB investigation can take 12 – 18 months to complete.”