By Harriet Whitehead
A dog owner got a shock when she came home to discover her shame-faced pooch peeking through the door he’d mauled to bits.
Staffy and German Shepherd cross Benny was caught red-pawed by owner Stacie Postill after he created a big dog shaped hole in the kitchen door when she left him to have dinner with her sister.
Stacie, 25, who had left her beloved pooch alone for just a few hours was hysterically when she saw Benny pop his head out of the door and wag his tail ‘looking pleased with himself’.
The mum-of-one was baffled as to how Benny had managed to create a hole so big, wrecking the door so badly that she ended up burning it on the bonfire.
Student Stacie, from Leeds, West Yorkshire, said: “I was creasing because I walked in and suddenly his head just popped out of the door and he was so happy with himself.
“The first thing I saw when I got in was Benny wagging his tail, looking at me as if to say ‘look at what I’ve done’.
“He’s the most smiley dog in the world but he’s a smart dog and he knew exactly what he was doing.
“But I can’t ever be mad at him, I was just laughing at how ridiculous it was.
“I’m so confused at how he has actually managed to do it.
“It proper baffles me because my living room carpet is really thick so I’ve had to take the door up at the bottom so it sits on it.
“There wasn’t even a gap under the door for his paws or his nails.
“I’m assuming he chewed it a little then used his paws once there was a hole.
“The door was everywhere, it trailed from the living room all the way to the kitchen.”
Stacie said there were fireworks going off on the night it happened (Nov 4) but Benny had never showed any fear before.
Stacie said: “I knew there were fireworks on but Benny has never had an issue with that.
“Before I went out I put the music on really loud just in case. In fact I thought I’d come home to police after noise complaints not a destroyed door.
“I’ve had him since he was a puppy and he’s never done anything like this. He’s never been phased with fireworks before either.
“I went out at 5pm for dinner with my sister and I came back home at around 7.30pm.
“When I left my house my door was still fully there.
“I had a weird feeling at dinner so I left my sister’s early, but I didn’t expect to see the door in that state.
“After getting back I decided to light the door on fire, it was bonfire night after all. And out of mind, out of sight.
“I spent hours just cleaning the carpet and Benny didn’t even offer me a paw, he made the mess and left me.
“I haven’t even started looking for a new door yet but our kitchen floor is also completely ruined so I think I’m going to have redecorate.”