By Catherine Reid
A greedy snake needed help after swallowing two large plastic eggs – because he thought they were real.
Samson, a carpet python, slithered into a chicken coop last week and gobbled up the decoy eggs by mistake.
He had to be put under general anaesthetic to relax his muscles and fitted with an endotracheal tube which allowed him to breathe.
Vets at Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services, in Australia, then lined his stomach with lubrication before squeezing the eggs out of the python.
Both eggs were safely removed from Samson’s mouth – but no doubt he was left hungry as the python also regurgitated yolk from the real eggs he ate.
A spokesperson for the vets said: “Two very firm, distinct lumps were palpable in Samson’s stomach and a quick X-ray confirmed that these were not real eggs, but plastic fake eggs filled with sand.
“Samson was not going to be able to digest this material on his own and we needed to give him a hand in removing them.
“After tubing some lubrication fluid down into his stomach, the first egg was manipulated up out of the stomach with gentle pressure.
“When the egg was getting close we had to disconnect the ET tube from the anaesthetic machine to allow us to manipulate his mouth.”
They added: “Given Samson had also eaten a real egg he had some yolk and fluid in his stomach which came back up with the offending fake eggs.
“After both eggs were removed in this manner Samson was woken up from his anaesthetic without any troubles.
“He will be released back into the wild when he has taken a feed with his wildlife carers.”