Life Video

By Luke Kenton


This Aussie landlord was left with a whopping 17,000GBP (22,000 USD/28.9k AUD) bill when a family of six was evicted from his property, after turning it into a ‘drugs den’ infested by cockroaches and mice. 

For the first two-years of their three-year lease, Travis Adams, 34, had very few qualms with the reliable tenants occupying his property in Perth, Australia – but the final 12-months would tell a very different story.

PIC BY TRAVIS ADAMS/CATERS NEWS

Gradually falling behind on rent and noticing damage on the property during his quarterly inspections, he opted to not renew their lease any further, forcing the family to depart on May 31.

Inspecting the home on June 1, Travis was left ‘shocked and numb’ as he opened the front door to find piles of rubbish strewn across the floor, infestations of rodents and insects, and grime-laden surfaces throughout the property he’s owned since 2014.

PIC BY TRAVIS ADAMS/CATERS NEWS (

With copper pipes from the boiler having been stolen and most of the electrics cut, Travis believed the family – who had four children in the house – sought revenge for him not renewing their lease and the damage is estimated to cost the Policy Officer 17,000GBP in repairs. 

Not fully covered by his landlord’s insurance, Travis is having to front most of the funds himself, and his sister-in-law, Charmaine Kettle, has set up a GoFundMe page to help out (https://www.gofundme.com/worst-tenants).

PIC BY TRAVIS ADAMS/CATERS NEWS

Spending a period of nine days with over 20 volunteers, he has been able to return the home back to a respectable state, but though the dirty nappies and mouldy couches have been cleared, he insists there’s still a long way to go before it’s in a livable condition. 

Travis said: “After I gave them notice that their lease wouldn’t be renewed, the tenants became unresponsive, unclean and began damaging the property – they had to go. 

“The Department of Child Protection also had visited the family numerous times. 

“The smell was so strong, I was in compete shock and totally numb. 

PIC BY TRAVIS ADAMS/CATERS NEWS

“I saw filthy couches, junk, cigarette butts, nappies, cockroaches and mice everywhere, broken windows and a fridge filled with rotten food. 

“The infestation of cockroaches is so bad, they’re appearing from being plug sockets and light-switches.

“Initially they were good tenants for the first two years and always paid rent on time – but they started taking hard drugs and this caused them to be this way. 

“I’ve decided to move back into the property for a year to help re-coup costs, so I need to get it back into a livable condition before June 21. 

PIC BY TRAVIS ADAMS/CATERS NEWS

“It’s taken over a week so far with the help of friends and family, but there are still a lot more costs to come with repairs to the electrics, kitchen and ceiling. 

“I will look into my legal options to try and recover some of the costs from either the tenants or the state. 

“Everyone has been horrified that this happened.”