By Hayley Pugh

monkey has made a miraculous recovery after being shot in the face with an arrow – that went all the way through his head and into his back.

Pic by WFFT/Caters News

The poor long-tailed macaque was spotted on the outskirts of Bangkok with the huge metal arrow sticking out of his face, just under his right eye.

Rescuers from the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) later discovered that the arrow had just missed the monkey‘s brain and spine.

Pic by WFFT/Caters News

The macaque, later called Rocket, was shot with a harpoon gun and rescuers were alerted to his plight after people posted pictures of the confused and injured monkey on Facebook.

Rocket was captured and vets successfully removed the arrow without damaging his eye, brain or spine.

The macaque is now being cared for at the centre until he is well enough to be released back into the wild.

Pic by WFFT/Caters News 

A WFFT spokesperson said: “Urban macaques often come into conflicts with humans and are regularly persecuted as pests.

“In this case the male had been shot in the face with an arrow, this may have been because someone wanted to seek vengeance for him damaging their property or it may have been by someone who wanted to use the animal as a target while out sport hunting.

Pic by WFFT/Caters News 

“The poor monkey was shot by someone with a harpoon gun and a metal arrow entered the skull from the front just under the right eye and got through all the way into his back.

“The arrow went through his skull almost hitting his brain and his vertebral column.

Pic by WFFT/Caters News 

“Animal loving people nearby immediately posted photos of the poor animal online and a rescue mission was started.

“After capture, the monkey was treated by veterinarians during which the arrow was swiftly removed.

“He was then collected by the WFFT for further treatment and rehabilitation back to the wild.

Pic by WFFT/Caters News 

“He has been named Rocket and is recovering well from his ordeal here at the WFFT Wildlife Rescue Centre.

“He will stay with us for a few weeks until he has fully recovered then he will be released back to the wild.”