By Chris Jaffray
A student who claims she was nearly KILLED by a posh cocktail has called for mandatory labelling of all drink ingredients.
Amelia Bates ordered the Ciroc Colada at Manchester celeb haunt Rosso, owned by Rio Ferdinand, during a night out with pals last month – unaware it contained egg white.
The second year criminology student, who was diagnosed with an allergy to milk, eggs and nuts at just six weeks old, went into anaphylactic shock after taking one small gulp of the boozy beverage and had to be rushed to hospital.
Amelia admitted she missed a warning on the first page of the restaurant and bar’s extensive 17-page drinks menu advising those with allergies to speak to bar staff, which she missed, but claims foamy creation’s ingredients were only listed as pineapple vodka, pink grapefruit rum, peach puree and lemon.
The 22-year-old, from Selby, North Yorks, claims bar staff told her the drink did contain egg white when she asked after feeling the first effects of the reaction.
She said: “This was the worst reaction I have had – if I had taken a bigger gulp I could have died.
“I am quite fortunate the anaphylaxis wasn’t as extreme as it could have been.
“If I had been more inebriated I wouldn’t have been able to spot some of the symptoms.
“There was a warning on the first page of the menu saying ‘if you have allergies please speak to us’ but when I picked it up, it opened on one of the middle pages naturally so I never saw it.”
Fortunately, Amelia’s anaphylactic shock symptoms were quickly recognised after she felt her throat begin to close and called 999.
She was given an intravenous drug by paramedics and was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary by ambulance where she remained for the next couple of hours before being released.
Amelia has now called for the rules in bars to be changed and wants it to be compulsory for all ingredients to be listed on the menu.
The University of Manchester student said: “I am alright now, but the after effects of the reaction knocked me out a bit over the weekend.
“I don’t want to criticise Rosso, it’s more about changing the legislation.
“It should be the same for bars as for supermarkets and restaurants.
“If it happened to me, it will have happened to someone else.
“As well as allergies, people who are vegan or vegetarian would want to know what is in the drinks”
The law around labelling alcoholic beverages lies with the European Union and the industry submitted a self regulatory proposal to the European Commission last year which is under review.
Currently, alcoholic beverages stronger than 1.2 per cent alcohol are exempt from ingredient list and nutrition declaration requirements.