BY Lucy Notarantonio
A horrified mum has videoed the moment FIVE maggots fell from her son’s chocolate egg after claiming it was on sale in B&M despite being 14 MONTHS out of date.
Karly Mulligan, 28, said she purchased a Kinder Egg from her local B&M Bargains store in Arnold, Notts, on March 20 for two-year-old son Jordon Worthington.
But the mum-of-two claims she was left horrified after peeling off the wrapper and noticing ‘strange markings’ all over the egg.
Along with her partner, Evan Worthington, 29, the pair began to investigate and were gobsmacked when tiny maggots allegedly began to fall out onto their kitchen table.
After filming the ordeal to warn others, the angry pair claim B&M denied the egg was purchased from their store and was 14 months of out of date – despite the label allegedly showing a best before date of January 7, 2018.
Kinder and Ferrero both confirmed they were investigating the incident.
Karly said: “I was in complete shock when the maggot started to fall out, the egg looked unusual from the moment I opened it as there was strange white markings all over it.
“My partner started prodding the egg with a knife, and a tiny yellow maggot dropped on to the kitchen worktop, so I grabbed my phone to video.
“I couldn’t believe my eyes, I was horrified, what if I had given that to my son to eat?
“It is a parent’s worst nightmare. My son isn’t old enough to know that it would look strange.
“Luckily, we always break chocolate up for Jordon as he’s too young to eat it whole.
“If we had given it to our other my daughter Layla, five, she would have eaten the maggots.”
In total, the family claim there were four maggots on the outside of the Kinder Egg with one being inside and when Karly looked at the wrapper, she discovered the best before date was from January 2018.
She adds: “I rang B&M straight away and I was appalled to hear them deny the egg was purchased in their store.
“I have the receipt to prove it is and they can even check the CCTV to see me in there.
“I then rang Kinder as I put my trust in them and wanted answers.
“They have told me to send them the egg to investigate – I am not looking for compensation, I just never want to see this happen again.
“I decided to warn people by uploading the video on Facebook as we had four maggots fall out from the shell of the egg and one inside.”
The video on Facebook has been shared 2,000 times and has more than 800 comments.
A spokesperson for B&M said: “The quality of our products is of the upmost importance to us and we believe this to be an isolated incident.
“We’ll be investigating this with our supplier.”
A spokesman for Ferrero, which makes Kinder Eggs, said: “We take every consumer issue seriously and are already in contact with the consumer to investigate this matter fully.
“We would like to reassure consumers that at Ferrero we pride ourselves on the quality of our products and have strict quality control procedures in place throughout our operations.”