Life Video

By James Somper and Lucy Notarantonio


This is the scene of devastation after an inferno ripped through a hospital ward.

Images taken today [TUES] of the George Bryan Centre – an inpatient unit providing medical treatment to people with mental health issues – at the Sir Robert Peel Hospital in Tamworth, Staffs show mangled metal and plastic after flames enveloped the building last night [MON].

Pic by Bradley Stokes/Caters News

Cops said no one was injured but eyewitnesses at the scene speculated a patient could have been involved in the blaze.

This morning [TUES] Staffordshire Police said a 43-year-old man, from Tamworth, has been detained on suspicion of arson.

Callum Horne, 22, said: “I was about three miles away and we could see it from there.

“We came down after practice and there was a blazing fire – I don’t think this was an accident.”

Pic by Bradley Stokes/Caters News

Tara Shemsin, 34, said: “My mum has been a patient here for the last month due to mental health issues, she was in the west wing where the fire happened.

“All the staff and patients are fine but she’s really upset because all her stuff has burnt – she’s already lost her home due to mental health and now this. She’s really distressed.”

Bradley Stokes, 24, said: “I ran down, and when I got here it was worse than I imagined.

“I could see it from the town centre, I live half a mile away and I could see the flames.

There were 40 or more people here, the blaze was chaotic and huge.

“I thought there would have been a few deaths it was that bad.”