Animals Video

By Alex Matthews

This driver proved it’s not just cats who have nine lives after he stopped on a busy highway to rescue a feline stranded in the central reservation.

New York city council member Francisco Moya was driving along the Long Island Expressway in Queens, New York, when he spotted the cat perched on the central reservation.

The 44-year-old Democrat came off the highway to change direction and pull up alongside the animal with his hazard lights on at around 2:30pm on May 18.

Jumping out of his Mercedes, he managed to grab the grateful cat and place him in the passenger-side footwell.

Moya filmed the petrified cat stuck on the concrete wall dividing the expressway and then taking shelter in his car.

He then drove around for two hours finding a re-homing shelter to deliver it to, finding it some food along the way which it greedily gobbled up.

The council member says he wouldn’t advise people to stop on a highway, but claims he had to do it for the safety of the cat.

Moya, who represents New York City’s 21st District, said: “I was driving west on the Long Island Expressway in Queens when I saw him stranded on the centre divider, stuck between three or four lanes of traffic.

“I actually thought I saw him earlier that morning around 8:30 a.m. when I was heading east on the expressway but couldn’t be sure.

“When I saw him the second time I knew I had to do something, I’m a big cat guy and it was weighing on me. I needed to go back and see if it really was a cat stuck out there.

“He was bigger than I expected, and very hungry. He was stuck there all day and probably hadn’t eaten anything.

“But he also looked pretty shaken up and nervous, as he’s a very shy cat, but you could tell he wanted to be rescued.

“After I spotted him I took the exit and turned around, put my hazard lights on and stopped in the left lane – not something I recommend unless it’s an emergency, which clearly this was.

“This big guy must have been stuck there for hours and hours.

“I didn’t know if he was injured and I didn’t want him to jump away into traffic so I slowly tried to coax him over.

“He immediately let me pick him up.

“I wanted to make sure I got him safely into the car as soon as possible so he didn’t get scared — you can hear all the traffic around, cars honking their horns.

“From there, I drove around trying to find a no-kill shelter and stopped at a store along the way to pick up some cat food.

“I looked after him for about two hours. I missed a meeting or two while I was driving around looking for a shelter.

“I finally found the New York City Animal Care and Control Center in Rego Park, Queens after a couple hours.

“They gave him a check-up and neutered him. A foster family that runs a rescue home in Brooklyn later adopted him.”