Four people have been confirmed as dead after a massive explosion in Leicester last night.

The explosion, which happened on Hinckley Road, Leicester, left a total of eight people in hospital – four of which have now been confirmed as dead.

The other four people still remain in hospital, one of which has serious injuries.

Pic by Michael Scott/Caters News

Emergency services were called to the scene, after receiving reports of an explosion and fire at a building in Hinckley Road, at about 7pm last night, 25 February.

Superintendent Shane O’Neill said: “There are a large number of resources from various agencies at the scene in Hinckley Road and they are expected to be in place throughout the day.

“We know the explosion and subsequent fire will have caused considerable concern to residents and business owners in the area and we would like to thank people for their support and patience while teams continue with their work at the scene.

“There are four confirmed fatalities at this stage and a number of people still undergoing treatment in hospital. The building consisted of a shop premises on the ground level and a two-storey flat above it. We believe there may be people who have not yet been accounted for and rescue efforts continue in order to locate any further casualties.

“Once the site is deemed to be safe a joint investigation with Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service will begin looking into the circumstances surrounding the incident, which at this stage are not being linked to terrorism.”

Pic by Michael Scott/Caters News 

Emergency services remain at the scene this morning and are searching the collapsed property.

Matt Cane, Group Manager, said: “Crews have worked through the night, alongside partner agencies, as they continue to search the scene in order to try and locate any further survivors or casualties.

“We have six fire crews on scene, including a specialist search and rescue team who are supported by two search dogs, and this level of resourcing is likely to be in place throughout the day.

“The cause of the explosion and fire is still yet to be determined and we will work closely with colleagues from the police as our enquiries into the circumstances continue today.”

Hinckley Road remains closed in both directions and motorists have been advised to avoid the area.