Life Video

By Luke Kenton

This bed-bound Leukemia battling father was given the surprise of a lifetime, when his two daughters flew 1,300 miles to give him a much-needed boost during his courageous battle with cancer.

Diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) – an aggressive form of blood cancer, in April this year, Jeff Green was ‘teetering on the edge of death’ after being admitted to hospital last month, when he fell victim to a deadly case of pneumonia.


Unable to walk or speak anything more than a few faint whispers, the 47-year-old was in desperate need of a lift after several rounds of chemotherapy and overcoming three subsequent infections that nearly killed him.

Thankfully for the father of two, his wife, Karin, 46, had a very special surprise in store.

Asking him ‘How’s he doing?’ as he lays immobilized with an icepack strewn across his head, Jeff attempts to speak but can only muster up a cough.

Even if he had the strength to speak, Jeff would probably still be stunned to silence, as the mysterious guests entering the room turn out to be his two daughters – McKenna and Anja, 24 and 22 – who flew from Denver, Colorado, to Tacoma, Washington, to surprise him.

Locking into a completely silent embrace, Jeff and his two girls cry quietly into one another’s arms as they loosely hug over the top of his bed.

Watching on was loving wife Karin who attempted to stifle her own tears, after her friends surprised her by paying for her daughter’s flights,

Karin, a project manager, said: “I was talking to one of my friends, telling her how much I wish my girls were here but unfortunately we couldn’t afford to fly them over.

“My friend said: ‘leave it with me’, we’ll figure something out.


“I couldn’t believe it, she rallied together loads of mutual friends who all chipped in to pay for their flights.

“I knew Jeff seeing his girl would bring him comfort – we are a very tight knit family and having them with him was crucial.

“He needed the emotional boost as a reminder for what he was fighting for.

“This moment meant everything to Jeff, it was a pivotal moment in his recovery.

“He was so shocked and in disbelief, but he cried with joy seeing his daughter.”

After feeling extremely fatigued while struggling with a tooth infection, Jeff admitted himself to hospital on April 18th, after only being able to walk a few steps before collapsing to the ground.

Presuming the symptoms to be a severe flu, the Green family were left ‘shocked with terror’ when the doctor confirmed Jeff was actually suffering from an incredibly aggressive form of blood cancer.

Admitted to hospital that night and beginning chemotherapy shortly after, the next few months offered a turbulent time for Jeff and his family.

Karin said: “Jeff contracted two deadly infections in between his various treatments – both of which nearly killed him.

“It was after his second round of chemo that he contracted yet another deadly infection, alongside pneumonia.

“I rushed him to the ER where he had to be revived, but thankfully he survived again.


“After three rounds of chemotherapy, Jeff still has a small amount of residual cancer.

“We’ve tapped out of ‘traditional medicine’ can offer, so we’re going to work with a naturopathic doctor to attempt to cure him completely.

“As Jeff has lost his job, finances are very tight, so we’ve started a GoFundMe page to save Jeff’s life and pursue new treatments.”

To make a donation to help with Jeff’s treatment, please visit: