By Bilal Kucha
A newborn baby girl was rescued from a garbage vat, swarmed by ants in India in a suspected case of parents abandoning a female child for not having a boy.
The infant is being taken care by medical staff of a government run hospital in Bhopal in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
The yet-as-named baby was found in a polybag by a tea stall owner Dheeraj Rathore in the early hours of Saturday been ‘eaten’ by ants.
Dheeraj said: “I was passing through the bin when I heard the cries of a baby.
“I was was shocked to see an infant’s head sticking out of a red polybag in a garbage vat among the bushes.
“Ants were all over her head and body.
“I immediately called my friends Chandan and Suraj for help.”
Rathore and his two friends cleared the insects from the infant’s body, wrapped her in a cloth and took her to nearby JP Hospital where the child’s situation is said to be critical.
It’s not known how long she was bitten by ants.
“The baby weighs 3.5lbs. Her condition is critical.
“When she was brought to the hospital, she had multiple injury marks on her body,” doctors said.
Police have registered a case and are looking for the parents.