Pic by Pilip Dubbin/Caters News
A photographer captured the moment these magical mushrooms began to glow in the dark after a friend guided him to the spot.

Phillip Dubbin, from Melbourne, Australia, decided to find the mushrooms after a friend has posted his own images on Facebook.

Pic by Pilip Dubbin/Caters News
The 53 year-old followed a trail of gold tape, laid out by his friend to locate the fungi before waiting for for the light to fade and later used long exposure digital photography to enhance the green colour.

The mushrooms are poisonous and can make you ill within thirty minutes of eating.

Pic by Pilip Dubbin/Caters News
Often referred to as ghost fungi, the mushrooms appear to glow in the dark, similar to an LED light, and it is unknown what causes them to give off light.

Some believe it is due to insects, others think it could be a by-product of a biological pathway within the organism.

Pic by Pilip Dubbin/Caters News
Philip, an IT support worker, said: "There have been quite a few reports of the ghost fungi in Victoria and this was the closest one to Melbourne I could get to to have a look.

"Most were 4 hours drive away in Gippsland.

Pic by Pilip Dubbin/Caters News
"Walking through the forest with these pale white glowing mushrooms looked very surreal and magical – a sort of real life 'Avatar' experience."