Life

By Sarah Francis


A mum has revealed how her life was destroyed after a gas explosion left her with horrific burns.

PIC BY CATERS NEWS 

Courtney Cosper Waldon, 27, suffered third degree burns across her face and 40pc of her body, when gasoline was poured onto a campfire in September 2016.

The mum-of-one was rushed to a hospital and put into a medically induce coma for a month.

Two weeks later, her husband of two months abandoned her and unable to work she was left homeless.

The brave burn survivor has undergone laser surgery every month and has had seven skin grafts.

PIC BY CATERS NEWS 

And now she is slowly rebuilding her life for the sake of her young daughter.

Courtney said: “I went from being the very pretty girl, just married, had my life in order to barely being able to dress myself and needing help for everything and having to learn how to do things over again.

“I even had to learn to walk again.

“It was very hard to come to terms with what happened.

“The first time I saw myself in the mirror I got sick and almost passed out.

“It was awful and so nerve wrecking going out. I got so many stares, people looking like they had seen a monster.

“I am doing much better every day, I still get the stares, but I am still adjusting.”

PIC BY CATERS NEWS 

Courtney was sat around a fire when gasoline was poured onto the pit which exploded towards her.

She said: “I remember every second of what happened. I remember being on fire. I dropped and rolled, and finally was tackled to the ground. I was crying out call the ambulance.”

Courntey was put into a medically induce coma for a month and was kept in an ICU burn unit for 51 days.

After her husband left her, it was her five year old daughter Caroline that kept her going.

Courtney said: “It was a slap in the face when my husband left me.

PIC BY CATERS NEWS 

“I tried and begged him to come back, my daughter didn’t deserve it, but he just said he couldn’t handle me.

“There were definitely times I wanted to give up, but I had to think of my daughter.

“They didn’t bring her to the hospital, so the first time I saw her was when I came home.

“They brought her over and she was very hesitant and very stand-off.

“Then when she heard my voice, she came over and gave me a hug.

“She’s been amazing.

PIC BY CATERS NEWS

“When I was having trouble learning to walk she would tell me to hold her hand.”

After being declared disable because of the injury to her hands, plus mounting medical billm Courtney and Caroline have been forced to leave their home.

The mum and daughter have been supported by their local church to build a house and they currently raising donations via:

Courtney added: “Every day I get more hopefully, I’m here for a reason.

“I am hopeful in the future, I hope to help others who have been burned.”